This weeks workout is inspired by our wonderful Bostonian sports teams! In light of the Red Sox making it to the World Series (woo!) and the Bruins starting off the season strong, these exercises will help change up your workout while rooting for your favorite teams and don’t think we forgot about football and basketball. Although the Patriots have been “fumbling” a bit we have an exercise that will whip em’ back into shape and even though the basketball season hasn’t officially started we threw some exercises in for you Celtics fans as well! Baseball: Sprints
- Start by warming up.
- Complete a 50 meter sprint
- Rest for 30-45 seconds
- Repeat 10 times
Football: High step-Plank-High step
- Start by facing a step or bench with both feet on the ground
- Step onto the step or bench one foot at a time
- Step off of step or bench one foot at a time and get into plank position
- Hold plank for 30-60 seconds (depending on ability)
- Repeat 10-15 times
For a more advanced version hold the opposite leg (not being used to step onto bench) at a 90 degree angle for 10-15 seconds then step back down.
Hockey: Lunge Slides (with towels)
- On a smooth surface start standing with feet shoulders width apart and a towel or cloth under one of your feet
- Slowly slide your foot back until you are in a lunge position
- Slowly slide your foot forward until you are in starting position
- Repeat 10 times and don’t forget about the opposite leg
Basketball: Shooting hoops
- Start facing a wall (approximately 5 feet away)
- With a medicine ball (using a weight you feel comfortable with) bounce the ball off the wall as if you were shooting a basket
- Catch the ball off the “rebound”
- Repeat 15 times
Feel free to get creative with these exercises using weights or whatever else you can think of! It’s all about what you feel comfortable with. Have fun and go Boston!